Sunday, April 14, 2013

Who you calling dependent..

Now, that I am approaching 36 years of age, I am no stranger to oposition.  My mom always says:  Opionions are like a$$holes, everyone got one.  However, I didn't think my decision to be close to home would bring such "negative" or shall I say, no -support. 

As, I stated before, having given birth to my 3rd child, forced me to take a different road in life.  I must admit its been very hard to get used to idea of trading spreadsheets for spaghetti dinners, however I can't deny that it has provided some pleasureable benefits.  I guess, the thing that I struggled with the most is trying to stay up with friends and the world around me.  Instead of the face to face contact, you become almost dependent on the phone ringing, facebook or any social media.  And to be real, it leaves you very lonely.

Getting to my point, living in this city, my friends are few, and I do keep up with various family members.  So when I finally, announced my decision to everyone, which by the way came through a series arguments with Mista, self paranoia, and just plain boredom.  It was recieved well, but there were concerns, and the main questions or points that kept coming around was: Why would you put your total life in 'his' hands?  or You know you are totally dependent on him, and you really don't have choices on how things are run in your house, right?  Hummm, lets think about this..

Now, Ima point out something, majority of these women(not my friends per se), is expecting some type of support from a man/organizations, as myself.  Okay, my arugement is, how can my situation be any different than yours?  Just like you, I am dependent on assistance, whether its school loan/grant, medical for my kids, some food assistance.  Not to mention, most of these 'independent' woman, recieve child support.  Umm, don't that comes from the father of the child.  Don't you balance your books by what 'he' does,like I do?  Oh, let me say this, if 'he' does not pay, don't that upset your household to the point of making decisions on the extras, like I?  I know women personally who will dial up the father for extra money on top of the support that is court awarded.  But, I am the dependent one..? 

To be arguebly correct, I am 'totally' dependent on my boyfriends income oppose to most my fellow sistas, however, we are talking percentages which are only numbers.  To me, the emotional stress, the making to ultimate decision of what's more imperative, and more importantly, being the only supporter/cheerleader for your child, is far more greater, and there is no dollar that can pay you enough for that.

I would like to end on this note, we ARE ALL dependent on something and someone else.  It's the way life on earth is.  So, again, who are you calling dependent...

No comments:

Post a Comment